The Current Guidelines for Moving House Scotland
Many questions surround the current coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown guidelines and if moving around the UK is possible with different protection levels and regulations across other parts of the country and across Scotland, England and Wales.
As of 5 January 2021, mainland Scotland is in a temporary lockdown, meaning the current governmental guidance states you should remain at home unless for essential purposes. This means there are restrictions on households mixing and meeting people outside of your home.
The Scottish government has confirmed that leaving your home, if connected to moving (such as meeting estate agents and viewing a property) should be postponed if possible. However, all house moves are currently permitted, provided they are carried out safely.
What are the current rules for moving house during COVID-19 across the UK?
- Buyers and renters are still permitted to move home
- Removals firms can remain open
- Estate agents and letting agents can still operate and conduct house viewings.
- Anyone outside of your household or ‘bubble’ should only help with your move if ‘absolutely necessary’
- Moves and viewing still permitted
- Other activities in connection to a move (purchasing, selling, letting etc.) are still allowed with precautions
- House moves are still permitted if your moving date can’t be delayed
- Any associated activities are permitted (subject to social distancing)
- House moves can still be completed
- Associated moving activities are allowed
Can I view a property during the pandemic?
In the first instance, virtual viewings should be held to buy and sell property with the advice that any in-person viewings be postponed or delayed until the lockdown restrictions are eased or lifted. For guidance on this matter we recommend contacting our friends over at A&S Properties
Can work be carried out on my property?
The current guidelines for staying safe at home state that, in level four areas, work on a private dwelling is only permitted if deemed essential for maintenance, upkeep, and property functioning.
While this is guidance on moving home and not currently law, movers should continue to support people in any ways they can by taking the correct precautions when helping with moving activities such as removals.
What COVID-19 precautions should I take while moving?
The same recommended precautions should be taken while completing any activity outside of your home, including:
- Face coverings
- Avoiding crowded places
- Regularly clean hands and surfaces
- Remain 2m away from others
- Self-isolate and book a COVID-19 test the moment you notice a symptom